As the darker nights are drawing in and the clocks roll back, that can only mean one thing; it’s time for spooky season! But in case you’re not feeling the Halloween spirit, we’ve compiled some shocking fire and security statistics that will send shivers down the spine of any business owner.
So let the goosebumps spread, and the hairs stand up on the back of your neck as we get started with our first terrifying fact:
- Every hour, 16 false fire alarms are activated due to equipment failure.
- 60% of workplace attacks are committed by a stranger.
- On average, it costs businesses 4x more to replace stolen goods, than it would have cost to install preventative equipment.
- 47 per cent of all fires occurring between 16:00 and 22:00.
- Health and social care professionals are 3 times more likely to experience violence at work, while protective services occupations are 6 times more likely.
- 25% of businesses audited by the Fire and Rescue Service in 2020/21 were deemed unsatisfactory.
- On average businesses lose over 120 hours of labour due to commercial burglaries, costing over £2,250 per burglary.
- One retail employee suffers violence or abuse every minute.
- 3 out of 4 adults want improved safety in bars, pubs and nightclubs, while 64% want improved safety in hotels.
- 22% of retail shrinkage in the UK is caused by employee theft.
But in the words of the Halloween King himself:
“Everyday is Halloween, isn’t it? For some of us.” – Tim Burton
Because it’s genuinely horrifying when the worst happens to our businesses no matter what time of year.
If you want to learn more about how to protect yourself, your staff and your business, contact us today for a free, no-obligation chat.