When you manage a commercial building such as an office building, warehouse or retail outlet, it’s essential to check regularly that your building is safe and secure. However, it’s often too easy for all of us to get caught up in the day-to-day running of our business that it’s very easy for fire and security to slip down the priority list.
However, with over 40% of business premises the target for crime, it’s essential for business owners to protect their people, property and profits.
That’s why we’ve put together our quick building safety and security checklist to help you identify potential risk areas.
General Building Safety Checks
First up, we should always check if there are any maintenance issues that could leave you or your employees vulnerable.
- Are all outdoor areas, such as car parks and walkways, well-lit and protected by CCTV cameras?
- Is your car park secure and being used correctly? The use of ANPR CCTV cameras can provide valuable surveillance and the ability to control access.
- Are all fences and boundaries secured?
- Are all windows and doors in good working order and lockable?
Commercial Security Checks
Next, ensuring that you have suitable commercial security protocols in place for your business is important. Start by checking the following:
- Do you have an up-to-date inventory of keyholders or access control records? Are these records correct?
- Do CCTV and Intruder Alarms monitor external building entrances?
- Are high-value or confidential areas of your property security effectively with access control?
Security Technology Checks
It’s not uncommon for commercial security equipment to become accidentally damaged or knocked out of position, so it is vital to check they are in good working order.
- Are all battery-operated devices working correctly? Ensure these are tested regularly.
- Do any of your security system components have signs of deterioration or damage?
- Are all of your CCTV cameras working correctly and backing up footage?
- Are the timestamps on your CCTV cameras correct?
Fire Security Checks
- Are you completing weekly fire alarm checks?
- Do you have up-to-date Fire Alarm Zone Charts displayed throughout your building?
- Do you have a suitable number of manual call points for users to alert of a fire at any time?
- Do your current fire doors meet the current fire regulations?
Documentation and Procedure Checks
- Are all your employees and building users aware of your emergency evacuation procedures?
- Do you have a responsible person identified who holds responsibility for maintaining your fire safety documentation? If not, you could be breaking the law.
- Are you maintaining a log of any maintenance reports?
- Do you have a current procedure for out-of-hour security calls?
- Do you have an appropriate lone-worker policy?
We recommend that all commercial security systems be audited every 6-12 months by a trained professional to ensure that they are operating correctly and compliant with the latest security standards. At JKE Fire and Security, we make this easy for our commercial customers through our monthly maintenance and monitoring service. As well as regular health checks and the costs of any parts and labours covered, we also ensure our customers have 24-hour access to UK-based priority call-out number.
If you would like to discuss auditing, upgrading or maintaining your existing fire and security systems, we’re here to help. Simply call us on 0800 254 5645 or contact us here.